Yesterday I visited Doune Castle, the first castle scene in the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail. (taunting Frenchman, African swallows) see photo album for more details of that, and my other wanderings.
So, after one week of being here, we have printed a new version of the SXSW poster that Baseline has done in the past. I guess it was a refresher course for me so to speak since primarily working with woodcut and letterpress last semester. I am trying to adjust to the industrial grade supplies and equipment, and the new vain of my existence is the rotating light table and it's fickle nature to exposure times. I start computer work tomorrow morning with a bang by designing the pocket guide to the Connect Festival featuring Franz Ferdinand. Should be very exciting! I also have another project that will have something to do with the festival as well, but Douglas has not let me in on that one yet. SO all and all, one poster down, and TWO more projects about to take off. its great fun!
The studio is great, very modern. (IKEA-ed out) All the computers you could ever need, and I get a workstation as well. Complete with windows viewing the city. It is in the newer side of town but within walking distance from the hostel so I get to stop and have coffee before trotting to work! In Studio designers: Douglas, Angie, and Steven. Interns: Me! Thats all that is in there, so should be good for getting some great experence out of it as they all three seem to have different abilities, strengths and piles of work they don't like to do as well. I am excited because my experence will also be in running a design business as well as being a designer. (admin stuff, marketing stratagies, and ethics in addition to the cool visual bits)
As for living, the rotation of the girls in my room is starting to be a little weird. All those girls who arrived in the same week as me have now left, and a whole slew of new ones have arrived. They are all nice, but the longevity of their stay compared to mine is hard for making friends. Though I am going out regularly, I experienced a full out European disco bar called Fubar this week, and decided I will not be doing that again. too many flashing lights and drunk Scottish boys thinking they are "the Shiz" due to the night's football (soccer) match with the Celtics and the Rangers.
My boss Douglas has had me round for dinner with his family a few times already, and I can say it is one of the highlights of my stay so far. His kids drew me a picture of their street in my sketchbook, and showed me their guinea pigs (they have two). We also went to see Indiana Jones, as they absolutely love both that and Star Wars.

No comments:
Post a Comment